Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Queen Elizabeth visits the UN


According to Yahoo News Online:

Queen Elizabeth II challenged the United Nations on Tuesday to spearhead the international response to global dangers and promote prosperity and dignity for all the world's inhabitants.

"In my lifetime, the United Nations has moved from being a high-minded aspiration to being a real force for common good," the 84-year-old British monarch told diplomats from the 192 U.N. member states. "That of itself has been a signal achievement. But we are not here to reminisce. In tomorrow's world, we must all work together as hard as ever if we are truly to be United Nations."

One thing I've noticed in my lifetime of living both in Canada and the USA is how much most Canadians admire the role of the UN in the world. And how little Americans do. Very imperfect place I know -- but I really do think it is a noble effort. But then again I am a Canadian.

I first 'met' the Queen as a five year old on the steps of a museum in Regina SK. I wonder if she remembers me?

GHT

No comments:

Post a Comment