Monday, July 12, 2010

Finding Grace When Visiting Another Church


We pastors are notoriously critical of other churches whenever we pay the occasional visit. Typically it is during the summer season when things are not always functioning at their best. But being a professional worship service organizer and leader makes it hard to get past the occasional missteps and enter in to the service fully.

I like the way Gordon Atkinson expresses how he faced this challenge in his recent blog post -- Finding Grace:
... The beauty and the careful execution of their formal worship, along with the gorgeous language of the Book of Common Prayer, broke my heart open with joy. I wept through much of the service. It was the most meaningful worship I have experienced in years. We went to church that Sunday hoping to find grace. We did, but first I had to find it in my own heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment