Monday, March 31, 2014

Station 4 - Peter Denies Jesus

Meanwhile, Peter was sitting outside in the courtyard. A servant girl came over and said to him, “You were one of those with Jesus the Galilean.” But Peter denied it in front of everyone. “I don’t know what you’re talking about,” he said. Later, out by the gate, another servant girl noticed him and said to those standing around, “This man was with Jesus of Nazareth.” Again Peter denied it, this time with an oath. “I don’t even know the man,” he said. A little later some of the other bystanders came over to Peter and said, “You must be one of them; we can tell by your Galilean accent.” Peter swore, “A curse on me if I’m lying—I don’t know the man!” And immediately the rooster crowed. Suddenly, Jesus’ words flashed through Peter’s mind: “Before the rooster crows, you will deny three times that you even know me.” And he went away, weeping bitterly. (Matthew 26:69-75 NLT)
Lord Jesus, your word tells us that you predicted Peter's denial: he would deny you three times over. But of course Peter was sure you had overestimated his disloyalty. Now we know that it was he who had overestimated his courage and allegiance. So it all happened just like you said it would. Peter was tested three times and Peter failed three times. And then that rooster crowed. Peter's bravado was dashed and shame and sorrow gripped his heart. Finally he saw the truth about himself. He was not as noble and strong has he had thought. He needed you more than he realized. Which of course is the truth about us - about me too. So Lord whenever I get a bit too full of myself - when I think of myself more highly than I ought to think - bring me back to reality. There is a lot of Peter in me. I'm overconfident in my own goodness and under-confident (if there is such a word) in yours. Help me to be faithful when tested and humble always. So I join to pray "We adore you Lord Jesus and we bless you, for by your very cross you have redeemed the world." In Your strong Name I pray. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment