Monday, March 31, 2014

Station 5 - Jesus Condemned by Pilate

Then Pilate called together the leading priests and other religious leaders, along with the people, and he announced his verdict. “You brought this man to me, accusing him of leading a revolt. I have examined him thoroughly on this point in your presence and find him innocent. Herod came to the same conclusion and sent him back to us. Nothing this man has done calls for the death penalty. ...But the mob shouted louder and louder, demanding that Jesus be crucified, and their voices prevailed. So Pilate sentenced Jesus to die as they demanded. (Luke 23:13-15, 23-24 NLT)
Pilate really blew it. He had a chance to do the right thing with you Jesus but he didn't. Pilate had a strong sense that you were innocent since he not only knew the law but his wife had told him about her dreadful dream. Still he caved. Pilate chose to placate the crowd who kept insisting on your guilt, rather than doing what he knew to be right. As we would say nowadays "Pilate had the gun." He was the only one with enough authority to sentence you to death, or to spare you, no matter how loudly the crowd yelled. Pilate alone made the decision to hand you over to be crucified. No wonder he is the only person other than God and your mother Mary mentioned by name in the Apostles Creed:"Suffered under Pontius Pilate..." So Lord help me to obey my own conscience and inner moral compass no matter what the voices around me a screaming. And when I don't - forgive me Lord. Forgive me. Once more I join in this prayer "We adore you Lord Jesus and we bless you, for by your very cross you have redeemed the world." Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment