Monday, March 31, 2014

Station 6 - Jesus is Scourged and Crowned with Thorns

The soldiers took Jesus into the courtyard of the governor’s headquarters (called the Praetorium) and called out the entire regiment. They dressed him in a purple robe, and they wove thorn branches into a crown and put it on his head. Then they saluted him and taunted, “Hail! King of the Jews!” And they struck him on the head with a reed stick, spit on him, and dropped to their knees in mock worship. (Mark 15:16-19 NLT)
I've always felt so terrible about the mental torture inflicted on you Jesus. How those cruel soldiers mocked your kingship, with a scalp-piercing crown of thorns and a robe thrown over blood-soaked back. Indignity upon indignity and you in your love allowed it to happen. Not because you could not have stopped it - but because you chose not to. "Amazing love - how can it be that Thou my God shouldst die for me" - And Can it Be. So Lord Jesus I remember your physical pain and your mental torture as the painful result of my selfish sinful ways. Every time I willfully transgressed your moral law it was as if I added one more lash. With my name on it. Forgive me Lord as I join this timeless prayer "We adore you Lord Jesus and we bless you, for by your very cross you have redeemed the world." Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment